Recently I upgraded my HP Pavilion dv6 laptop to windows 8. Windows 8 detected and installed the default Intel HD video driver only. The switchable graphics driver was not installed. The ATI HD5650 was not being used.
The following instructions are what I did to successfully install the switchable graphics driver on Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit
1. Download the driver for your HP Pavilion model. My driver was for example here:
2. Run the downloaded driver.
- Click Next
- Accept the terms and click next
- The default location will be something like “c:\swsetup\SP50640” click next.
(I will refer to this directory through the following steps, just use your specific directory)
- The software will extract to that location
- When the driver installation starts click cancel
3. Install the C++ redistributable
- Enter the video driver directory e.g. “c:\swsetup\SP50640”
- Enter the C:\swsetup\SP50640\Packages\Apps\VC10RTx64\vcredist_x64 diretory (64-bit) or;
C:\swsetup\SP50640\Packages\Apps\VC10RTx86\vcredist_x86 for 32 bit
- Choose properties and set the compatibility to Windows 7.
- Run as administrator
- Follow the prompts and complete the install
4. Install the ATI Driver
- 64-Bit – enter the C:\swsetup\SP50640\Bin64 directory
- 32-bit – enter the C:\swsetup\SP50640\Bin directory
- Choose right-click properties on the “InstallManagerApp.exe”
- Set compatibility to run as “Windows 7”
- Choose Run as Administrator
The driver should be successfully installed. IWOMM